Saturday, February 1, 2014

John Elway and his final Super Bowl victory in Miami

I was there for Super Bowl XXXIII in 1999 - the last time the Denver Broncos were in the big game. I was a staff photographer for the Sun Sentinel and I was assigned to the west end zone. After the Broncos won, everyone of course rushed the field for the QB picture. I remember running towards the Broncos bench, but for some reason, was MOVING towards the middle of the field. The crush of media was so strong that I was lifted off of the ground and had no control of my direction. I remember running over and stepping on many smaller reporters and photographers. It is advantageous to be 6'1 and 210 pounds. When I finally got to John Elway, I was behind him. We were all getting CRUSHED. Elway screamed "GET BACK!!!" It was a loud, terrifying scream. Everyone backed up. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw his wife Janet approach and give him a kiss. This would be the last time John Elway played in an NFL game.

No comments:

Post a Comment